Orpheic Hechingen

Thomas Täglichsbeck – conductor of the court orchestra

Under the royal couple of Frederick William Constantine and his wife Eugenia, Hechingen enjoyed a huge cultural upturn in the first half of the 19th century. The prince supported the musical arts and Villa Eugenia became the centre of Orpheic Hechingen, named after Orpheus, the mythical Greek singer.

The royal couple also composed and Eugenia sang in performances of the choir.

The Hechingen court orchestra, under the direction of the composer Thomas Täglichsbeck, had an excellent reputation that stretched far wider than the confines of the principality. Famous musicians and composers, including Franz Liszt and Hector Berlioz, were guests in Hechingen.

The relational connections of Eugenie amongst the European high nobility also ensured illustrious guests.

Following the death of Eugenia in 1847 and unsettled by the revolution of 1848, Prince Constantine left Hechingen and moved back to the property of his deceased mother in Schlesien. He took the entire court orchestra with him. So ended the era of Orpheic Hechingen.