After the reformation, Hohenzollern remained a Catholic country. The Protestants formed a disappearing minority. As a consequence of the transition to Prussia in the year 1850, the former Hohenzollern principalities of Hechingen and Sigmaringen merged to form a Prussian administrative district. The Hohenzollern lands performed the act of hereditary homage at Hohenzollern Castle in 1851 to mark the accession of King Frederick William IV of Prussia.
In 1853, as the number of Protestants gradually increased through Prussian officials and military personnel moving to the area - though also through the immigration of workers to the up-and-coming textile town - appointing a vicar had become necessary. An initial provisional parish council for the Protestant community was elected in 1855.
By order of King Frederick William IV, in 1856/57 the engineer Captain Heinrich von Blankenburg built the Protestant Church in Hechingen – the first in Hohenzollern – according to the plans of Friedrich August Stüler.