Today’s construction was built under the reign of Prince Joseph William from 1779 - 1783 to the plans of the French master builder Pierre-Michel d'Ixnard (1723 - 1795). The church became an impressive testimony to the faith of an era, the visual of language of which turned away from lavish baroque interior design. Symmetry and sobriety were the ideals of classicism, which addressed the plastic and architectural elements of classical antiquity.
The imposing tower, the cross at the top of which stands 55.5 m above the ground, looks down majestically on the city. A square storey is followed by a round one, which is completed with a bell-shaped dome. The Hohenzollern allied coat of arms is above the main portal between two urns. On a marble plaque above the door is the name of the man who ordered the construction, Prince Joseph William; the year 1782; and the programmatic inscription:
Ecce tabernaculum Dei cum hominibus; et habitabit cum eis. ("Behold the abode of God is with men, and He will live among them." Revelation 21.3).
The floor plan is perfectly symmetrical about the east-west axis. The length of the long building with 53 metres is the same height as the tower. Before the choir are two transept-like side chapels. The spacious sacristy is attached to the east of the central axis, the long building with two stairwells to the west encompasses half of the square tower. It contains the main entrance at ground level, a porch, a prayer chapel on both the right and left, thereover the royal box as well as the organ loft on the second floor.