A legend depicted in a painting hanging in the library of Hohenzollern Castle tells that the beautiful church “Maria Zell” was brought down to Boll. However, during the night angels carried it back to its original location.

What is the truth behind this story?
As residents of Zell left their village in the 14th and 15th century to resettle in Boll, the priest of Zell ultimately followed. Under the conditions at the time, Boll was a rapidly growing community, but one without a church. This shortcoming was alleviated by the new construction of the first St. Nikolaus Church, probably towards the end of the 15th century.
Although there was now “the church in the village” in Boll, the faithful remained steadfast to “their” Maria Zell. Ruined by pillaging in 1633, the church was rebuilt and dedicated as the parish church of Boll in 1655, which it remained until 1862.